Monday, September 28, 2009

No, no no! NO, NO, NO!!!!!


Today when I got home and checked the mail I had a very official-looking letter in my mailbox. As soon as I saw it I said,”No, no no!”. When I read the letter that changed to, “NO, NO, NO…..DAMN IT!!!”

It was a letter from the Circuit Court for Baltimore County….a summons for jury duty. An inconvenience yes but is really worth a DAMN IT?? Yes it is and here’s why. I’m supposed to appear for jury duty on November 12th. That date means nothing unless you’re one of 5 girlfriends going on a surprise destination getaway and you’re leaving on NOVEMBER 12th!!! To make matters even more worthy of the DAMN IT!, just imagine that you’re the girl that’s planned the entire trip and none of the other 4 girls even know were we’re going yet. Yep, that’s my predicament.

Immediately, I started running through numerous lies I could use to get out of it….

I have a very important medical appointment on November 12…too risky—I believe in karma.

My mother has a cataract surgery coming up sometime next year…I could lie and say it’s on November 12th…once again—karma.

Do I have a mental or physical disability that could keep me from serving my duty? What kind of disability can I come up with that’s not clearly obvious?? Voices inside my head? The voices told me they would never buy it.

I notice that you’re exempt if you’re over 70 years of age…I could lie and say I’m older than 70….no, they know my age….my damned birthdate is on the summons. *whimper*

I could call and say I’m the singlegal’s sister and she died last year. They would probably ask, “If she died last year then why did she get two driver’s licenses in 2 weeks time?” (don’t ask)

Then I see it…the light at the end of the tunnel!! I can go online and request a later date. I can only do this once but thank God I can do it. I now have to appear at the Baltimore County Courthouse on December 1st. That’s more preferable than burning down the courthouse, which was my only other option. I really need this getaway!!

Whew that was a close one!!!

Chick out….

1 comment:

  1. Being one of the girls going on the girl’s surprise destination weekend, I am glad you could get your jury duty postponed until December. The trip would not be the same without you, especially since you organized and planned the getaway.
    Maybe you can bring your new Julia Child’s cookbook with you on the trip and cook for all of us, and then we could decide if cooking for 3 hours is really worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete